Chocolate cream cheese ganache frosting, need we say more? Ok, it is made with only 3 ingredients. It is rich, velvety and decadent. Oh, and not too sweet.
We love this chocolate cream cheese ganache because it is not as sweet as say, a traditional buttercream frosting. We love dessert around here but, we are into low sugar desserts. This ganache is sweet, but also has a slight tang from the cream cheese, creating the perfect balance of flavors.
This is the perfect creamy chocolate frosting recipe to pair with our chocolate cake for a decadent chocolate dessert.
This cream cheese ganache is like a mix between traditional cream cheese frosting and chocolate ganache. You can use it as a pour over glaze for things like a Bundt cake or cinnamon rolls. Or you can chill it, and whip it for a luscious, creamy frosting for cake or cupcakes.
What's Cool About This Recipe
- Only 3 ingredients: This chocolate ganache frosting only has three ingredients.
- Use for filling or frosting: You can use this for a more dense ganache filling to go between cake layers or macaron shells, or make into a fluffy, pipeable frosting.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Heavy whipping cream: Make sure to use heavy cream, and do not substitute for milk or half and half.
- Chocolate chips: The chocolate chips are what gives this ganache its sweetness. We like semi-sweet but you can use milk chocolate for a sweeter ganache, or dark chocolate for a more bitter chocolate flavor and less sweetness.
- Cream cheese: Use full fat, brick style cream cheese for best results.
See recipe card for quantities.
- Add flavorings such vanilla extract or peppermint extract. Add it with the last addition of the chocolate mixture. You will probably need ¼-½ teaspoon, taste and add more if needed.
Put the chocolate chips in a small heatproof bowl. Heat the cream in a small saucepan or microwave safe container until hot (140°-150°F). Pour the hot cream over the chocolate chips. Let sit for 3-4 minutes.
Stir the chocolate chips until completely smooth and all the chocolate chips are melted.
With an electric hand beater on medium speed beat the cream cheese in a large mixing bowl until smooth.
Add a couple tablespoons of the melted chocolate and beat on low speed until combined, scrape down the bowl. Repeat the process 1-2 more times.
Add the rest of the melted chocolate and beat until combined and smooth. Use immediately if you want a thinner pourable ganache. Or cover and refrigerate until completely chilled (2-4 hours).
To make whipped ganache frosting beat on medium high speed for 1-2 minutes, or until fluffy and lightened in color. Use immediately for frosting or piping.
Store leftover frosting in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
How to Freeze
Freeze in an airtight, freezer safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator.
Tips From Our Kitchen
Do not boil the cream, if it is too hot it can seize the chocolate and you’ll end up with grainy ganache.
Use high quality chocolate chips for best results.
Yes, you can use cold cream cheese, just make sure to add the melted chocolate a little bit at a time and scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl often.
Make sure the chocolate mixture is completely chilled before whipping.
Cream Cheese Ganache
- ½ cup (120 grams) Heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup (100 grams) Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 ounces (113 grams) Full fat cream cheese softened
- Put the chocolate chips in a small heatproof bowl. Heat the cream in a small saucepan or microwave safe container until hot (140°-150°F). Pour the hot cream over the chocolate chips. Let sit for 3-4 minutes, stir until smooth and all the chips are melted.½ cup (120 grams) Heavy whipping cream, ½ cup (100 grams) Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- With an electric hand beater on medium speed beat the cream cheese in a large mixing bowl until smooth.4 ounces (113 grams) Full fat cream cheese
- Add a couple tablespoons of the chocolate and beat on low speed until smooth, scrape down the sides of the bowl. Repeat the process 1-2 more times. Add the rest of the chocolate and beat on low speed just until combined.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until chilled.
- To make frosting, beat on medium/high speed for 1-2 minutes until lightened in color and fluffy. If you want the frosting thinner you can add a splash of milk.
We calculate these nutritional facts using an estimate and they can vary drastically between ingredients used and measuring technique. So, they are not intended for medical use.